You probably won't be surprised to learn that I am a member of an Innkeeper's blog/discussion forum. The blog is a great source of information and community, a place where you can ask a question and get a plethora of answers. It's also a place where one can glean ideas from others' successful or not so successful efforts. I have learned a lot in my communications with other Innkeepers and I have made friends as well; from Jefferson, Texas all the way to Cornwall, England. And my "must visit" list is growing exponentially.
While attempting to catch up with some of the current blog conversations I came across a post from an Innkeeper who wrote a list of the top 12 reasons she loves owning/operating a B&B. Her list started a chain of comments from other innkeepers offering some of their favorite reasons, as well as a few who offered some of their less than favorite reasons. But that's what I love about a discussion blog, everyone has their own thoughts to share. After reading a multitude of the comments I thought, "12 favorite things huh, what would I add to the list?" So, I sat myself down and started counting, but then decided I really shouldn't number them because that would suggest #3 might be more important than #5, when that might not be the case at all. So, I've decided to bullet my list instead. Very diplomatic of me, don't you think? And so without further ado, here's my list of why I love owning/operating a B&B.
- I get to be with my husband all the time.
- I wear slippers to work.
- I can take a nap (in the middle of the day) just because.
- I don't have to submit paperwork to take a vacation.
- I live in an amazing 108-year-old home, the fulfillment of a long-time dream, in a charming town.
- My home allows my creative side to run wild!
- I meet some of the most amazingly friendly and kind people (and they pay me to stay in my house!)
- Knowing that we help create a lovely "time away from home" for our guests.
- I have a fully equipped kitchen that allows me the space to create/cook/bake for our guests.
- My husband no longer wears a suit and tie.
- The writer/photographer in me has a venue.
- Being able to support other local businesses by referring our guests to them.
- There is a young girl in our neighborhood who likes to believe we named the Inn after her.
Okay, that was 13, but I think a Baker's Dozen is appropriate here, don't you agree? And yes, there are very definite realities to having a home that is your business and a business that is your home, but maybe I'll save that for another day and another list! In the meantime, here is a photo that warms my heart every time I look at it and it reminds me of why I love owning a B&B.