Are you counting the days until Christmas and starting to think about this year's menu? Not only the menu for Christmas Day but maybe for Christmas Eve and especially for breakfast and/or brunch on the morning after Christmas when you want something quick and easy to serve your holiday-weary family. Maybe this is the year you really will try something new, break tradition and go for it! Here's a spin on the classic twice baked potatoes.
Twice Baked Breakfast Potatoes - serves 4 or 8
- Bake 4 large brown russet potatoes, refrigerate overnight
- Slice each potato lengthwise (scoop out the center of the potato*) and place on cookie sheet
- Sprinkle generously with olive oil, salt and pepper and bake at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes or until skins start to get crispy.
While the potatoes are baking:
- Cook 2 lbs. ground sausage (Jimmy Dean Original) drain and set aside
- Scramble 2 eggs person i.e., to serve 8 use 16 eggs
- Add sausage to the scrambled eggs, mix together well
- Add cheese (Cheddar/Jack mix) to eggs and sausage and mix well
- Plate either 1/2 or 1 whole potato per person
- Fill potato skin with egg mixture and top with chopped green onions
- Serve with sour cream and salsa on the side
* use the scooped out potatoes to make potato pancakes!
|Twice baked potatoes served with warm coffee cake|